September 6, 2011
Living Healthy is a Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP) based on a proven model developed by the Stanford University Patient Education Research Center. Living Healthy is a six-week workshop for adults with chronic conditions. Caregivers and loved ones are also invited to attend. Workshops are offered in communities worldwide to improve health and reduce hospitalizations. In fact, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Administration on Aging have adopted the CDSMP model as an effective, evidence-based program.
Parrish Medical Center offers Living Healthy workshops at no cost and has two workshops scheduled to begin in October:
Participants will learn strategies and gain confidence in their ability to manage their health. The workshops are led by two trained leaders, one or both of whom are nonhealthcare professionals who themselves have a chronic health condition. Subjects covered will include:
- Tuesday, October 4 from 12:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., each Tuesday through November 8.
- Wednesday, October 5 from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., each Wednesday through November 9.
- Both workshops will be held at Parrish Medical Center, 951 North Washington Avenue, Titusville.
- Techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation
- Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance
- Communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals
- Nutrition, problem solving and creating personal action plans
Parrish Medical Center has received very encouraging feedback from participants who have attended the workshop, such as “the best class I have ever taken”; “by attending this workshop I now have increased energy, exercise regularly, and have a very positive feeling about myself regarding my health”; “I highly recommend this workshop to anyone with chronic conditions…the members of this workshop have moved forward with their personal health issues; it’s very rewarding to be a part of this group.”
Take charge of your life and register now. Space is limited and an RSVP is required. Call 321-268-6596 or email Jenny.Evans@parrishmed.com.