December 15, 2011
Make Your New Year’s Resolution to better deal with your chronic condition & live a healthier life.
Do you need help dealing with a chronic condition? Living Healthy is a Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP) based on a proven model developed by the Stanford University Patient Education Research Center. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Administration on Aging have adopted the CDSMP model as an effective, evidence-based program.
Parrish Medical Center offers Living Healthy workshops, a six-week workshop for adults with chronic conditions, at no cost. Three workshops are scheduled to begin in the New Year. Caregivers and loved ones are also invited to attend.
· Friday, January 13 from 9:30 a.m. to noon and Fridays through February 17 at the Parrish Health & Fitness Center, 2210 Cheney Hwy, Titusville.
· The second workshop begins Tuesday, February 7 from 12:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. and Tuesdays through March 13 at Parrish Medical Center, 951 North Washington Avenue, Titusville.
· The third workshop begins Friday, February 24 from 9:30 a.m. to noon and Fridays through March 30 at the Parrish Health and Fitness Center.
Participants will learn strategies and gain confidence in their ability to manage their health. The workshops are led by two trained leaders, one or both of whom are nonhealthcare professionals who themselves have a chronic health condition.
Subjects covered will include:
- Techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation
- Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance
- Communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals
- Nutrition, problem solving and creating personal action plans.
Parrish Medical Center has received positive feedback from participants who have attended the workshop, such as “The best class I have ever taken”; “By attending this workshop I now have increased energy, exercise regularly, and have a very positive feeling about myself regarding my health”; “I highly recommend this workshop to anyone with chronic conditions…the members of this workshop have moved forward with their personal health issues; it’s very rewarding to be a part of this group.” Take charge of your life and register now.
Space is limited and an RSVP is required. Call 321-268-6596 or email Jenny.Hogue@parrishmed.com.