Public Participation at Board and Committee Meetings
The Board of Directors of Parrish Medical Center invites input from the public on issues related to its responsibilities and to provide the Board with information related to pending Board business. The Board will accept input from the public as a matter of information or for referral to appropriate Board Committees or staff. To assure all members of the public the opportunity to provide input and to permit the Board to conduct its business in an orderly manner, the following procedures will be followed at all Board and Board Committee meetings:
1. To permit the orderly conduct of business and scheduling of input as part of any meeting agenda, any member of the public wishing to be heard either under the agenda section "Public Input and Comments" or on a specific agenda items shall complete an appearance card and present the card to the recording secretary prior to the start of the Board or Committee meeting. In the event following the start of a Board or Committee meeting, additional items are added to the agenda, then any member of the public may submit an appearance card to speak on such additional item(s) prior to Board or Committee discussion of such item(s).
2. Members of the public wishing to be heard under the agenda section "Public Input & Comments" and who have presented a card prior to the start of the meeting shall be recognized in such order as determined by the chair. Any questions or comments presented to the Board shall relate to the responsibility and authority of the Board.
3. Any member of the public wishing to be heard concerning a specific agenda item and who has presented a card prior to the start of the meeting shall be recognized in such order as determined by the Chair and immediately prior to any Board or Committee discussion of such agenda item.
4. Members of the public wishing to address the Board shall speak only from the podium or at such other place as authorized by the Chair. A demand to be heard in rebuttal and not recognized by the Chair or attempts to interrupt other speakers will not be permitted. All comments or questions will be addressed to the Chair. The Chair will determine whether or not a reply is in order and identify those person(s) responsible or investigate any questions or comments.
5. Members of the public recognized by the Chair will have three (3) minutes to address the Board on a single "subject matter" submitted on an appearance card presented prior to the start of the meeting. In the event an individual submits multiple requests to be heard on more than one agenda item the Chair shall determine the amount of time allotted to the speaker, however, such time shall not exceed ten (10) minutes without approval of the Board. The recording secretary will function as official timekeeper. Members of the
public may not share or transfer all or part of their allotted time to any other person or to any other agenda item, except as permitted by this Policy. To the extent a speaker has previously addressed a Board Committee on the same subject and at which a majority of the Board was present, then the Board Chair shall be authorized to limit repeat comments at the Board meeting by the same speaker.
6. When more than three (3) members of the public representing the same group or position wish to address the Board on a specific agenda items, the Chair shall have the authority to recognize a representative and provide such representative additional time to speak before the Board on behalf of such members of the public. Where more than three (3) members of the public wish to speak and who have not designated a representative, the Chair shall have the authority to limit comments from individual speakers to a reasonable time period of less than three (3) minutes each and with the approval of the Board.
7. Any member of the public may supplement their appearance before the Board with written comments or information at the time for their appearance. Any member of the public who has not filed an appearance card prior to the start of the meeting or who is otherwise not recognized by the Chair will have the opportunity to present written comments or information to the recording secretary and following adjournment of the meeting. The opportunity to provide written comments or information shall not serve to delay any final action which the Board or a Committee decides to take at such meeting.
Public participation at any Board or Committee meeting will not be a forum for debate between members of the public, the Board or staff. Public participation will not serve to disrupt or delay the orderly conduct of business by the Board of Committee. Willful interruptions or disturbances, name calling, undocumented allegations or discussion of matters not within the purview of the Board will not be permitted. The Chair shall have the authority not to recognize or declare out of order any speaker violating this policy.
Reference: Florida's Government-in-the-Sunshine and Public Records Law Manual, Section 871.01, Florida Statues
REVISED MARCH 2000